Create your Own Water Gardens
Water gardening is one of the main new interests among the many new trends in gardening. I am a fan of water gardens too.
Water gardens can be in the form of waterfalls, ponds, fountains. These all water gardens can be enhanced by rock work combinations and lighting, plants, and fish. However Water gardening always doesn’t have to be a pond or natural water source either. Still it can consist of just a plastic tub or anything that can hold water.
Tips to create your own Water Garden
If you like to create a water garden of your own, here are few important tips to consider. These tips may help you to have a beautiful and attractive water garden.
- Selecting a better spot is the most important thing to consider in water gardening . Because plants and fish both need plenty of sunlight. Therefore places in direct light and away from trees and bushes are always the best place. Selecting this type of spot will also help prevent leaves and debris from collecting in the water.
- Once you select the spot for your garden, then you have to start planning. When planning for a water garden, the first thing to do is decide the size you want. This will also depend on how much money you are willing to spend because water gardening can get expensive if you go for a large garden full of plants, rocks, fish, and lights.
- You also need to consider the size of your property, and the amount of time you want to spend with maintaining your water garden.
- Once you choose what type of aquatic plants /water garden plants you wish to have, remember that the plants should only cover about half of the water. These Plants can be free floating, submerged, or marginal. You can choose plants as of your personal preference. However, some water plants are good for their scent, some provide more oxygen than others and will keep the pool health, and some are just beautiful. You can include some beautiful fish into your water garden. Fish are not only nice to look at but they are also very beneficial. Fish help keep debris at a minimum. They also help in controlling larva and other insects.
- You have to expect some difficulties if you go for a water garden. Keeping water clear of algae is one of the main difficulties in water gardening. Algae problems are usually caused from too many nutrients in the water. This can occur due to feeding fish too often or from over fertilizing plants. If ponds are made correctly and are maintained properly algae problems and control will be kept at a minimum.
- Usually All garden pools will need maintenance throughout the year. With a proper planning you can ensure a healthy balance between living and decorative features of a water garden .If you do it properly, you can expect almost care for itself with simple maintenance inputs from you.
- Identify nutrients that cause the algae. Then you can get rid of algae by reducing on the nutrients. This can be achieved by cutting back on feeding and fertilizing, planting more plants, installing a filter system, or replacing existing water with fresh water. There are also some chemicals which can be used to get rid of algae. For example chemicals like copper compounds. However overuse can kill plant life and fish.
Although water gardening needs some maintenance and attention, this is a way to occupy some time in your yard. Water gardening is an excellent way to beautify your yard.
Do you have some more water garden tips?
Leave a Reply